If you’re looking for a healthy and delicious alternative to white rice, brown rice is an excellent choice. Not only is it high in fibre and nutrients, but it’s also easy to prepare in an electric cooker.
In this section, we will provide you with a step-by-step guide on how to cook brown rice in electric cooker specifically tailored for Indians. You can enjoy perfectly cooked, fluffy brown rice every time by following our instructions and incorporating our tips.
Table of Contents
Choosing the Right Brown Rice for Electric Cooker
Before we dive into the cooking process, it’s essential to choose the right type of brown rice for your electric cooker. With so many varieties available in the market, it can be overwhelming to decide which one to purchase. Here are some tips to help you select the best brown rice for your electric cooker:
|Brown Rice Type
|White Basmati Brown Rice
|This rice is a long-grain variety with a nutty flavor and is perfect for Indian cuisine.
|Short-Grain Brown Rice
|This rice has a higher starch content, giving it a stickier texture and is great for rice puddings and sushi.
|Brown Jasmine Rice
|This rice has a subtle nutty flavor and soft texture, making it great for salads and side dishes.
We recommend opting for organic brown rice as it is free from harmful pesticides and chemicals. Additionally, avoid purchasing brown rice that has been stored in large open bins as it may be exposed to dust and insects.
Once you have selected the right brown rice, you can move on to preparing it for cooking.
Preparing Brown Rice for Electric Cooker
Before you start cooking brown rice in an electric cooker, it’s important to prepare it properly. Follow these steps for best results:
- Rinse the rice: Place the desired amount of brown rice in a fine-mesh strainer and rinse it with cold water until the water runs clear. This removes excess starch and dirt from the rice.
- Soak the rice: Soak the brown rice for at least 30 minutes or up to 8 hours. This helps to soften the rice and shorten the cooking time. You can soak it in the electric cooker bowl itself or in a separate container.
- Drain the water: After soaking, drain the water from the brown rice using a strainer. The soaking water may contain phytic acid, which can inhibit nutrient absorption by the body.
Now that your brown rice is ready, you can move on to cooking it in the electric cooker.
How to Cook Brown Rice in Electric Cooker?
Now that your brown rice is prepared, it’s time to start cooking it in the electric cooker. Here’s a step-by-step guide to cooking perfect brown rice:
- Measure the required amount of rice using the measuring cup that came with your cooker. Rinse it thoroughly in a fine mesh strainer until the water runs clear.
- Add the rinsed rice to the electric cooker’s inner pot.
- Add water in a 1:2 rice-to-water ratio. For instance, if you have 1 cup of rice, add 2 cups of water.
- Place the inner pot in the cooker and close the lid.
- Select the ‘brown rice’ or ‘whole grain’ mode on your electric cooker.
- Press the ‘start’ button to initiate cooking.
- The cooker will switch off automatically once the rice is cooked. Allow it to sit for 10-15 minutes so that the rice can steam and become fluffy.
- Fluff the rice using a fork before serving.
Adjust the cooking time depending on the quantity of rice you cook. For instance, for 3 cups of brown rice, you should increase the cooking time by 5-10 minutes.
Take note that different electric cooker models may have slightly different settings. It is therefore important to refer to your cooker’s manual for more specific instructions on cooking brown rice.
Follow these steps closely and get ready to enjoy perfectly cooked, fluffy brown rice every time.
Tips for Cooking Brown Rice in Electric Cooker
Cooking brown rice in an electric rice cooker in India can be tricky, but with these expert tips, you can always achieve perfectly cooked, fluffy rice. Follow these tips and take your brown rice game to the next level:
- Adjust water ratio: Brown rice requires more water for cooking than white rice. For every cup of brown rice, use 2 1/2 to 3 cups of water.
- Soak brown rice: Soaking brown rice for at least 30 minutes before cooking helps to soften the grains and reduce cooking time.
- Use the right cooking mode: Most electric cookers come with different cooking modes. Follow the instructions for the brown rice cooking mode and adjust cooking time accordingly.
- Do not lift the lid: Avoid opening the lid of the electric cooker while cooking brown rice. Let it cook undisturbed until it’s fully cooked.
- Let it rest: Once the cooking is complete, let the brown rice rest for 10-15 minutes with the lid on. This will ensure that it’s fully cooked and fluffs up nicely.
By following these tips, you can ensure that your brown rice is perfectly cooked in an electric cooker every time. Enjoy the delicious and healthy benefits of brown rice in your meals!
Serving and Storing Brown Rice
Now that you’ve cooked the perfect brown rice in your electric cooker, it’s time to serve and enjoy it. There are various ways to serve brown rice with Indian dishes, and here are some suggestions:
|Serve brown rice on the side with the curry, or mix it into the curry for a wholesome meal.
|Pair brown rice with dals to create a balanced and filling meal.
|Use brown rice instead of white rice in your favorite biryani recipe for a healthier twist.
If you have leftover brown rice, it’s important to store it properly to prevent spoilage. Follow these tips to store your brown rice:
- Transfer the rice to an airtight container once it has cooled down.
- Store it in the refrigerator and consume within 3-4 days.
- Avoid leaving brown rice at room temperature for extended periods of time.
By following these tips, you can enjoy the delicious and nutritious benefits of brown rice in your daily meals.
Health Benefits of Brown Rice
Switching from white rice to brown rice can provide numerous health benefits, as brown rice is more nutritious and less processed than its white counterpart. Here are some reasons why you should consider including brown rice in your daily diet:
|Amount per 1 cup (195g) of cooked brown rice
|Vitamins and Minerals
|Thiamine (B1), Niacin (B3), Vitamin B6, Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Potassium, Zinc
Brown rice is a good source of dietary fiber, which can help maintain a healthy digestive system and prevent constipation. It also has a lower glycemic index than white rice, which means it can help regulate blood sugar levels, making it a suitable option for people with diabetes.
Additionally, the vitamins and minerals found in brown rice can provide various health benefits. For instance, magnesium in brown rice can help reduce inflammation and lower blood pressure, while zinc can boost the immune system and support wound healing.
Overall, incorporating brown rice into your daily diet can provide numerous health benefits and lead to a healthier lifestyle.
Congratulations! You are now equipped with the knowledge and skills to cook perfect brown rice in your electric cooker. By choosing the right type of rice, preparing it properly, and following our step-by-step instructions, you can enjoy fluffy, delicious brown rice in no time.
Don’t forget our helpful tips, such as adjusting water ratio and using the right cooking mode to take your brown rice cooking to the next level.
Not only is brown rice delicious, but it also offers numerous health benefits. Incorporating brown rice into your diet can help you maintain a balanced, healthy lifestyle.
So go ahead and experiment with different dishes to serve with your brown rice. And when you have leftovers, store them properly to enjoy later. Thank you for reading our guide and happy cooking!